Overview of Jiaogulan
Botanical Name: Gynostemma pentaphyllum
Jiaogulan or gynostemma is a Traditional Chinese Medicine used to treat diabetes. The leaves can be used to make a relative sweet tasting tea.
- Type 2 Diabetes, including jiaogulan with the drug, sulfonylureas [1-3]
Conflicting (Unclear):insufficient information
- Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease 
No Evidence:insufficient information
No Clinical Research:All other conditions.
- Side effects have not been studied.
- Use caution or contact a licensed healthcare practitioner, since there is not enough research on the use of supplements containing jiaogulan.
There is not enough research on the use of supplements containing jiaogulan during pregnancy and breast-feeding, so consult a licensed healthcare practitioner before use or avoid use.
Jiaogulan is not a "drug", the best doses have not been thoroughly established. Make sure to follow the specific product instructions and take as directed on the label, or consult a licensed healthcare practitioner before use.
1. Huyen VT, Phan DV, Thang P, Hoa NK, Ostenson CG. Antidiabetic effect of Gynostemma pentaphyllum tea in randomly assigned type 2 diabetic patients. Horm Metab Res. 2010 May;42(5):353-7. 2. Huyen VT, Phan DV, Thang P, Hoa NK, Ostenson CG. Gynostemma pentaphyllum tea improves insulin sensitivity in type 2 diabetic patients. J Nutr Metab. 2013;2013:765383. 3. Huyen VT, Phan DV, Thang P, Ky PT, Hoa NK, et al. Antidiabetic effects of add-on Gynostemma pentaphyllum extract therapy with sulfonylureas in type 2 diabetic patients. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012;2012:452313. 4. Chou SC, Chen KW, Hwang JS, Lu WT, Chu YY, et al. The add-on effects of Gynostemma pentaphyllum on nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Altern Ther Health Med. 2006 May-Jun;12(3):34-9. 5. Afendi FM, Okada T, Yamazaki M, Hirai-Morita A, Nakamura Y, Nakamura K, Ikeda S, Takahashi H, Altaf-Ul-Amin M, Darusman LK, Saito K, Kanaya S. KNApSAcK family databases: integrated metabolite-plant species databases for multifaceted plant research. Plant Cell Physiol. 2012 Feb;53(2):e1.