Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Information
Reviewed by the NatureClaim Team
Natural Medicine Claims and Coronavirus Disease
There are currently three vaccines for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) authorized for emergency use in the United States. COVID-19 is caused by the virus, SARS-CoV-2. Some natural medicine manufacturers claim to have a "cure" or can treat COVID-19. These are scams because this is a new (or novel) virus and researchers have yet to identify a safe dietary supplement (natural medicine) that can cure, prevent, or treat this disease.
It should be noted that between 2002 and 2003, there was an outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), caused by SARS-CoV. No more cases of SARS-CoV have been reported worldwide. SARS-CoV is about 80% similar to SARS-CoV-2 [Zhou et al. 2020]. In 2014, researchers reviewed medicinal plants and natural medicines that had anti-viral properties [Lin et al. 2014]. It was found that extracts from 10 medicinal plants either inhibited SARS-CoV's attachment to cells or prevented its growth.
Only one medicinal plant, Houttuynia cordata (common names: chameleon plant and fish mint), was used in combination with western medicine to treat SARS patients [Li et al. 2006]. The study indicated that chameleon plant has the potential to improve patient outcomes. In general, people widely use Echinacea and elderberry for infections. Research has shown that these herbs may stimulate the immune system. However, the benefits of chameleon plant, Echinacea, and elderberry against COVID-19 are unknown. Research can change that.
Preventing the Spread of COVID-19
According to a peer-reviewed article published in June 2020, face masks reduce the airborne transmission of COVID-19 [Zhang et al. 2020]. The researchers compared the number of daily new cases in Italy, New York City and Wuhan, and found that requiring both face coverings and social distancing were more effective than social distancing alone. The paper also mentions that CDC and WHO largely ignored the prevention of airborne transmission. Does a face mask protect you? This is currently unknown, but a mask protects those around you. A revised best practices for keeping yourself healthy and controlling the spread of COVID-19 is to wash your hands for at least 20 seconds, practice social distancing of 6 feet (1.8 meters), and wear a face mask.
Countries with the Highest COVID-19 Cases | Updated: 01 March 2021
|Countries||Confirmed Cases||Deaths||Case Fatality Rate||Recovered|
For more information about the number of cases in your country or community, please visit the following resources: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Johns Hopkins University, World Health Organization (WHO), and Worldometer.
Sellers Making False Health Claims
We have also compiled a list of sellers making false COVID-19 treatment claims. The products from these sellers, which includes chlorine dioxide (a bleach solution marketed as Miracle Mineral Solution or MMS) and colloidal silver, should be avoided because these can harm your health. Google launched a fact checker. For instance, we searched, covid and supplement (because searching, covid and natural medicine, returned fewer results), and found that "[r]esearch illustrates a clear correlation between vitamin D deficiencies and (higher) COVID-19 mortality rates." A number of human clinical trials are investigating if this statement is true. Claims about other natural medicines are false.
List of fraudulent sellers as of 10 September 2020:
- Alex Jones - InfoWars Store (infowarsstore.com)
- Anti Aging Bed / JRB Enterprise Group (antiagingbed.com)
- Balance of Nature (balanceofnature.com)
- Bioactive C60 / FullerLifeC60 (bioactivec60.com)
- Carahealth (carahealth.com)
- Corona-cure (corona-cure.com)
- Elissa Goodman (elissagoodman.com)
- Four Sigmatic (foursigmatic.com)
- Gabriel Cousens (drcousensonlinestore.com)
- Gaia's Whole Healing Essentials (gaiaswholehealingessentials.org)
- Genesis II (genesis2church.ch)
- Glytch Energy (glytchenergy.com)
- Guru Nanda (gurunanda.com)
- Halosense (salinetherapy.com)
- Herbal Amy (herbalamy.com)
- Herbpathy (herbpathy.com)
- Homeomart Indibuy (homeomart.com)
- Jim Bakker (jimbakkershow.com)
- Jordan Sather - Conscious Strength (consciousstrength.net)
- KG Stiles - Pure Plant Essentials / Health Mastery Systems (pureplantessentials.com)
- Mamba Sports Academy / Vitality Lab (mambasportsacademy.com)
- N-ergetics / Xephyr Corp (n-ergetics.com)
- NeuroXPF (neuroxpf.com)
- Phoenix Biotechnology's Oleander Extract (phoenixbiotechnology.com)
- Quinessence Aromatherapy (quinessence.com)
- RootMD (rootmd.com)
- Sherrill Sellman (drsherrillsellman.com)
- Vital Silver / Colloidal Vitality (purevitalsilver.com)
- Vivify Holistic Clinic (vivifyholistic.ca)
Deaths and Overdoses Associated with COVID-19 Self-Treatment
On 07 July 2020, the Brisbane Times reported that consumers taking ArmaForce, an herbal medicine claimed to treat and relieve cold and flu symptoms, had coronavirus-like symptoms. For several months, people taking ArmaForce reported that they lost their sense of taste (one symptom of COVID-19). ArmaForce has since reduced the dosage and duration of use. If you have any side effects or adverse events associated with a particular natural medicine product, please submit a report.
During a press conference on 23 April 2020, President Donald Trump said, "And then I see the disinfectant where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or, or almost a cleaning because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number alone. So, it'd be interesting to check that, so that you're going to have to use medical doctors with. But it sounds, it sounds interesting to me." On 24 April 2020, a reporter asked President Trump about his disinfectant comments to which he replied, "I was asking a question sarcastically to reporters like you just to see what would happen." Confusion over President Trump's comments led to an increase in calls to Poison Control Centers. Our take on the situation: Please do NOT inject yourself with bleach or disinfectant, and please do NOT drink bleach or disinfectant.
After President Donald Trump tweeted the following on 21 March 2020, HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE & AZITHROMYCIN, taken together, have a real chance to be one of the biggest game changers in the history of medicine [...], people have overdosed on chloroquine, a medication similar to hydroxychloroquine, including 1 death in the United States:
- Chloroquine Overdoses in Nigeria
- Chloroquine Overdose in Viet Nam
- Chloroquine Death and Overdose in the United States
Raw Fruit and Vegetable Safety and Coronavirus
According to the USDA, there is no evidence that coronavirus can be transmitted from fresh fruits and vegetables to humans. Nonetheless, it is recommended to follow good hygiene practices. To keep produce safe, follow these steps:
- Avoid bruised or damaged produce
- Before cleaning produce, wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Only use clean potable water to wash produce; do not use bleach, detergents, or soap because fruits and vegetables will absorb these chemicals and this can harm you
- Before peeling a fruit, wash it with clean water and then dry with a paper towel
- For produce with a thick skin, use a vegetable brush to help wash away bacteria and viruses
- For vegetables like broccoli or leafy greens, soak in clean water for 2 to 5 minutes and then rinse with clean water
- Remove the outermost leaves of cabbage and lettuce and then wash with clean water
- To remove additional bacteria and viruses, dry produce with a clean paper towel
Written by Korey Brownstein, Ph.D.